What could ever be better than the combination of meatballs (or frikkadels as we call it here in Cape Town!), a tomato based sauce AND then some additional eggs? Nothing. Nothing, I tell you and it’s not a lie!
This week I tried a middle-eastern dish that I’d heard of a long time ago from various Arab students, but had never had the guts to try it. Last week however, that all changed as I saw it being prepared on a TV food show (because that’s all I watch these days, that and international property buying shows!) and my mouth started drooling. I kid you not, I had no intention on making anything half as adventurous that night, but this dish was just too gorgeous to not try!
It was amaaahzing!
I had to add in a few of my own ingredients to substitute some of the original, as of course it was already 7pm when I decided to make this and my poor husband was in no mood to run to the store at that time for smoked paprika and more eggs!
Shakshuka with Minced Beef (serves 4)
- 300 premade meatballs (minced beef, diced onion, breadcrumbs, parsley, spices)
- 1 large green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- A tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tblspoon crushed garlic
- 2 tspoon paprika
- ½ tspoon crushed chillies
- 1 tspoon barbeque spice
- 1 tspoon sugar
- 2 or more eggs
- Fry the onions and green pepper on a medium heat for about 2 minutes, then add in the garlic and spices.
- Add in the premade meatballs and cook till they are brown on all sides.
- Add in the tin of tomatoes and sugar, and allow to simmer until a thick sauce developed, about 15 minutes.
- Use a spoon to make little holes in the mixture and crack open an egg into it, without mixing. Do the same with as many eggs as wanted. ( I only had two!)
- Allow to eggs to cook to your liking, mine took about 10minutes as I prefer my eggs cooked through.
- Serve with flatbread or naan bread.